Sambar / सांभर
Sambar is good for the stomach and health.There is only one pulse in sambar, as well as green vegetables.Often children do not like green vegetables, so you can make sambar so that children will not be reluctant to eat food, and it is also good for health.You can also eat sambar with idli, dosa or with roti and rice.To make sambar follow the below-mentioned step by step…
Servings 5 People
Cost 60 rupee
- Pressure Cooker
- Kadai / Fry Pan
- Big Spoon
- 150 gram Arhar Dal / Toor Dal / Pigeon Pea
- 1 Unit Onion / Pyaz
- 1 Unit Carrot / Gazar
- 1 Unit Radish / Mooli
- 1 Unit Brinjal / Baigan
- 1 Unit Tomato / Tamatar
- 10-15 Leaf Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil / Tel
- 3 tsp Sambhar Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili / Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard / Sarson seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Heeng
- 2 Unit Whole Red Chili / Khadi Lal Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste/ Adrak Lehsun Paste
- as per taste Salt / Namak
Take 150 gram of arhar dal /pigeon pea.Clean the lentils with water.
Pour the lentils in the cooker, add 600 ml water to the lentils.
Also add one teaspoon turmeric powder, one teaspoon salt or add salt according to your taste.
Put the cooker on the gas and switch on the gas.
Allow 2 whistles on high flame in the cooker, now reduce the flame to low.
- And wait for two whistles to come.
- Now turn off the gas.
- Take one tomato, one carrot, one radish, one onion and 3 to 4 beans.
Lightly peel carrot and radish.
If you want, you can have more seasonal vegetables, such as ladyfingers, drumsticks, potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower etc.
- You can add whatever vegetable you have.
- You can change the number and weight of vegetables as per your likings.
- Cut all the vegetables.
Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
Take one spoon of tamarind and soak the tamarind in water.
When the tamarind becomes slightly fluffy, make paste of tamarind.
Now put the kadhai/pan on the gas.
Add chopped vegetables to the kadhai/pan.
Put half a cup of water in the kadhai/pan with it.
- Turn down the flame to medium.Cover the pan with a lid.
Allow the vegetable to cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, take out the vegetable in a vessel and keep it aside.
Now put the same kadhai/fry pan/cauldron on the gas.
When the kadhai/fry pan is hot, add 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan.
When oil became hot, add one spoon mustard seeds in the oil.
When the mustard seeds start crackling, add 1 pinch of asafoetida/heeng and 10 to 15 curry leaves.
Keep in mind that mustard seeds should be cracked, otherwise eating uncooked mustard will spoil the taste of sambhar.
After this add chopped onion.
- And break 2 whole red chilies and add to kadhai/fry pan.
After frying the onion for one minute, add chopped tomatoes.
Fry the tomato.
- Add a spoonful of ginger garlic paste.
- Cook ginger garlic paste.
Now put the cooked vegetables in the kadhai/fry pan.
Cook the vegetable for 2 minutes.
Now add 3 teaspoons of sambar masala to the vegetable.
You can add more or less spice if you want.
Cook the spices for one minute.
Now add cooked arhar/tur/pigeon dal.
Mix the spices well with the lentils.
Now add half teaspoon red chilli powder to the lentils, add salt as well.
Now add tamarind paste to the lentils.
Now reduce the flame to low.Now mix all spices and lentils well with a spoon.
Now let the sambhar cook for 10 minutes.
Turn off the gas after 10 minutes.
- Sambhar is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve the hot sambar with idli, dosa or roti and rice.
- Try this sambhar recipe, please give feedback in the comment section.
- If the sambar is extra in quantity then keep the sambar in the refrigerator.
- After 5 to 6 hours, the sambar tastes better.
- Try this one too.