Dal Makhani / दाल मखनी
Today we will learn how to make restaurant type dal makhani.On hearing this it seems that making dal makhani will be very difficult.But you will be surprised to know that making dal makhani is very easy.Just you should know which item to put in what quantity.Dal Makhani is not only good for health and is also very tasty in food.Because it contains urad dal and kidney beans.Rajma/kidney beans is rich in protein and urad dal is also very beneficial for health.To make Dal Makhani, follow the method given step by step below…
Servings 4 People
Cost 50 rupee
- Pressure Cooker
- Big Frying Spoon
- Kadhai / Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
- 150 grams Whole black gram/ Whole Kali Urad
- 30 gram Kidney Beans/ Rajma
- 750 grams Water
- 2 Unit Medium Onion / Pyaz
- 2 Unit Tomato/ Tamatar
- 1 inch Ginger/ Adrak
- 1 inch Ginger Garlic Paste/ Adrak Lahsun Paste
- 1 Unit Black Big Cardamom/ Badi Elaichi
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick/ Dalcheeni
- 1 inch Bay leaf/ Tej Patta
- 1 tsp Cumin/ Jeera Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Milk Cream/ Malai, if you don't have milk cream, you can use malai
- 1 Unit Green Chili/ Hari Mirch
- 2-3 Unit Clove/ Laung
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 tsp Butter/ Makkhan
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 inch Charcoal Piece/ Lakdi ka koyla
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 2-3 Unit Green Cardamom/ Hari Elaichi
- as per taste Salt/ Namak
To make Dal Makhani, take 150 grams standing Urad Dal.
With this, take about 20 grams of kidney beans.
- Soak urad dal and Rajma in water.
Remember to soak urad dal and rajma in enough water for about 8 to 10 hours.
Therefore, the best way to do this is to make urad dal and rajma in the night before the day before making dal makhani.
After 8 to 10 hours of soaking urad dal and rajma, both urad dal and rajma will get soaked well.
After this wash the urad dal and rajma with clean water for 2 to 3 times.Drain all water from urad dal and rajma.
After this, put urad dal and rajma in the pressure cooker.
Add approximately 750 ml of water in the pressure cooker, now close the lid of the pressure cooker and place it on the gas.
Keep in mind that the flame of gas should be high. Wait for about 20 to 22 whistles in the pressure cooker.
As long as the whistle is coming in the cooker, then we can do more preparations.
For this, take 2 medium-sized tomatoes. And cut them and grind the tomatoes by putting the tomatoes in the mixer grinder.
- Take it out in a bowl and keep it aside.
With this, take 2 medium size onions. Finely chop the onion.
Take a 1.5-inch piece of ginger.
And peel the skin, and cut the ginger into long slices.
Keep in mind that ginger is finely chopped.
Also, take a green chili and chop it.
You can take less or more green chillies depending on your choice.
By now the pressure of the pressure cooker will have gone out.
- Open the lid of the cooker and check if the lentils and beans are cooked.
If the lentils are not cooked then close the cooker again and allow three to four whistles.
- If the lentils are cooked, then with the help of a spoon, mash the lentils lightly.
Be careful not to mash the whole lentils, you have to mash only two or three teaspoons of lentils.
- After this, take 2 to 3 cloves, large cardamom, 2 to 3 green cardamom, a small spoon of cumin, a curry leaf and a piece of cinnamon about 1 inch to put it in the dal makhani.
Also, take a spoonful of Kasuri methi.
Now put a kadhai/fry pan on the gas.
Put about 2 teaspoons butter in the kadhai/pan.
Allow the butter to heat up.
When the butter melts, fry by adding cloves, cardamom, cumin, bay leaves, cinnamon.
After this, add chopped ginger in the pan.
Cook ginger for about 1 minute.
Add chopped onion after 1 minute.
Fry the onion till it becomes light pink.
After this add a spoon of ginger garlic paste.
- Cook ginger garlic paste well in the spices.
- After cooking the ginger garlic paste for 1 minute, until the raw smell is gone. Add chopped green chilies.
- And cook the spices for about 2 minutes.
- After this, add the paste of tomatoes in the kadhai/fry pan.
- Cook the tomatoes by mixing them well in the spices.
Also, add about half a teaspoon of red chili powder.
- Add about 5 to 6 teaspoons of water to the tomatoes.
Reduce the flame to medium and cook the tomatoes for 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
- The tomatoes have to be cooked till the tomatoes start releasing the oil.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the cooked urad dal and kidney beans.
Add salt to taste as per taste.
- If urad dal is thick then add half glass of water into it. You can add more water if you want to make gravy thin.
- I have added extra water because gravy will be on low flame for 15 minutes to 20 minutes. In that process, some water will evaporate.
The more the lentils will cook on low heat, the better will be the taste of dal makhani.
Add salt to taste as well.
Keep in mind that we have not used salt anywhere yet,
- We did not add salt while cooking in the lentils.
- Add salt according to the quantity of lentils in the kadhai/fry pan.
Turn the flame to low and cook the lentils.
- Keep stirring the lentils frequently, so that the lentils do not burn.
- After cooking the lentils for 10 minutes on low heat, add about half a cup of milk cream.
If you do not have milk cream, you can also add cream of fresh milk.
- Now mix the cream well in the lentils.
Remember to keep the flame low.
After this, put one spoon of Kasuri methi in the kadhai/ fry pan.
- And mix Kasuri Methi in the lentils well.
You keep the kadhai/fry pan/cauldron aside.
Switch on the gas.
Place about 2 inches of charcoal on the gas and burn the charcoal.
The coal has to be burnt until it turns red.
This process may also take 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
When the charcoal becomes very red, then place it in a bowl.
- And pour half to one teaspoon of oil on it.
- As soon as the oil is added, the coal will start leaving smoke.
- Now lift this bowl and place it on the dal makhani inside the kadhai/fry pan.
And immediately close the lid of dal makhani.
- The lid of dal makhani should remain closed for 1 minutes to 2 minutes.
- So that the coal smoke mixes well in the dal makhani.
- This will give a very nice aroma to your dal makhani and will also be very tasty in eating dal makhani.
- Now garnish by adding green coriander leaves over the dal makhani.
Dal makhani is ready.
Serve Dal Makhni hot.
You can also eat dal makhani with rice roti or paratha.
- It is a very easy and delicious dal makhani and it is also very beneficial for health.
Serving: 100grams | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 96mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 176IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 4mg